Have you ever scanned a document in .pdf format, but you can’t make an editing, like adding some text or deleting them?
Of course you can’t make an editing, while to just select and copy the text seems impossible to you, doesn’t it?
If you are only offered .pdf, .tif, .jpg the scan is producing only a picture of your document and you need to process that image through an OCR program
such as ABBYY FineReader (there are others) to convert into editable text.
The scanned PDF document is the document resulted from scanned paper document or from scanned book.
In general, if you change the paper documents / books into pdf documents using software built from Scanner then the resulting PDF document is in the form of an image stored in PDF format.
Therefore, you can’t select text, search and edit the text.
Then how can I make scanned PDF documents editable?
To make your scanned PDF Document editable, make sure that the software of your scanner supports OCR technology or you can use OCR software from a third party (eg, ABBYY PDF Transformer).
With the help of OCR software, it will change the format of scanned images of PDF Document into PDF Document that is searchable and editable.
In this tutorial, I will teach you how to edit the scanned PDF resulted from the scanned document with the help of ABBYY PDF Transformer + software that supports OCR technology.
Scanned PDF Workflow editing process
Before getting into the steps of editing, I’ll give you the workflows to be more easily understood:
Scanned PDF (Image only) -> MS Word (RTF) -> Editable PDF (*)
* All this conversion process simply using statistical software from ABBYY PDF Transformer +
How to Edit Scanned PDF Documents with OCR Converter
Follow the following steps:
- Install & Run ABBYY PDF Transformer software on your computer.
- Open Scanned PDF document via software ABBYY PDF Transformer +.
- When the Scanned Document opened in ABYY PDF Transformer+, then select Convert To -> Conversion Setting.
- On Conversion Setting’s window, choose Tab DOCX/ODT/RTF. Then on Retain layout select exact copy and click OK.
- Converting to Ms Word (RTF). Now you can convert the PDF format into Ms Word through Convert To -> Other Formats and select RTF Document.
- Converting Back The RTF into PDF. Open folder where your RTF document stored. Then right click on the RTF document and select Create PDF.
- When the process of creating PDFfile is completed, the file will automatically opened in ABBYY PDF Transformer+.
- Searchable and Editable PDF Files. Now, you can edit the PDF text by clicking icon edit.
- When the editing is done, you can save it through menu File -> Save.
When the Scanned PDF Document cannot be edited, it means the resulting scanned document is stored as image format in which you have to extract text to enable editing with the help of OCR software.
Next time you want to scan the document, it will be so much easier if you scan it with the help of ABBYY PDF Transformer because the resulting scanned document is editable and searchable.
In addition to editing the text, with the help of ABBYY PDF Transformer + software you can also add text, images, comments, highlights, and stamp.
If you work a lot with the PDF document and scanner, probably ABBYY PDF Transformer software is a software that you must have to simplify your job.