Our ABBYY FineReader 14 Review is about exploring The Swiss Army Knife of Document Tool from ABBYY.
ABBYY FineReader is All-in-one OCR Software and PDF Editing Tools. The combination of professional-grade OCR with a powerful and easy-to-use PDF Editing Tools.
ABBYY FineReader 14 is the upgrade from FineReader 12 and it is a combined with PDF Transformer+
OCR Software is software for convert scans to editable text without RETYPING with keep format & layout like your original document.
ABBYY FineReader 14 Review, New Features?
What are the features that make FineReader 14 more brilliant than FineReader 12 and other OCR Software.
- PDF Editing Tools. NEW Which makes FineReader 14 becomes so powerful than FineReader 12 is that the PDF Tools which is taken from PDF Transformer+. The features like edit text pdf, review, comment, and fill in form pdf document.
- It supports 192 languages. If in FineReader 12 it only supports 190 languages, now it is supported by Bahasa Indonesia, so FineReader’s language has 2 new languages.
- It supports Single line Math Formulas. This feature is so useful for those who work in science and mathematics.
- Separated OCR Editor. In FineReader 14, you have many options when converting the documents, that is you can automatically or manually convert it via OCR Editor. OCR Editor is generally used for scanned document/Image with complex layout and the table or photo result from camera which is not straight so that it needs an editing process first.
- Document Comparison. NEW You can view and compare directly between the original document with FineReader OCR scanned document. This feature can help to recheck and find out the differences of both documents so that it can minimize the mistake.
- Performance and Better Conversion Speed. Compared to the previous version, FineReader 14 more rapidly both in launching the software or speed when processing documents.
ABBYY FineReader 14 vs 12
Table of Comparison FineReader 12 vs 14
|Process Name||FineReader 12||FineReader 14
|Launching Software||7.82 s||4.46 s
|Converting Image to Word (OCR)||16.18 s||12.55 s
Supported File Formats
Started from scanning the digital editable OCR paper documents, be in Word format, Excel or in Searchable PDF.
The types of documents are:
- Paper Document
- Scanned Document
- Digital Photos
- PDF, including PDF/A
- Image formats: TIFF, JPEG, JPEG 2000, JBIG2, PNG, BMP, PCX, GIF, DjVu, XPS*
- Editable formats**: DOC(X), XLS(X), PPT(X), VSD(X), HTML, RTF, TXT, ODT, ODS, ODP
* Requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.
** Microsoft® Office or Apache® OpenOffice® is required.
DOCUMENT SAVING FORMATS
- PDF, including PDF/A (1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 2u, 3a, 3b, 3u)
- Image formats: TIFF, JPEG, JPEG 2000, JBIG2, PNG, BMP, PCX, DjVu
- Editable formats: DOC(X), XLS(X), PPTX, HTML, RTF, TXT, CSV, ODT
- E-book formats: EPUB®, FB2
The Swiss Knife Army of Document Tool.
Not excessive if I say ABBYY FineReader is as the Swiss knife army of document tool.
The combination between best OCR Software and PDF tool editing which is transformed into a software is so powerful and it will help you in handling all types of documents.
3 Key Feature of FineReader 14
- OCR Software. Changing the paper like document / scanning it into digital document which is editable and searchable such as Word, Excel or Searchable PDF.
- PDF Editing Tools. Processing the documents in PDF format such as Edit Text and image, adding the comments and annotation,
- Digital Document Tools. Besides those 2 features, with the support of FineReader 14, you can convert the documents, from or to PDF, Word, Excel. Besides that, you can also combine the multiple file into 1 Document.
Convert Scanned Document into Searchable PDF
PDF is popular document format for sharing information in many offices. With FineReader, your PDF documents, whether scanned or digitally created are searchable.
Convert Scanned Document into Editable Word
If you have paper document and need to Retyping, FineReader will save your time. You can convert your paper document into Editable Word in ONE click from your Scanner.
Convert Scanned Document into Editable Excel
If you are Accountant and you have many financial statements, this feature will help you to convert your paper document become editable Excel format.
FineReader PDF Editor Tools
You may be thinking that PDF Document are not editable. But, with FineReader now you can edit text or change images.
FineReader Image Editor
Pictures taken with camera phones usually are not perpendicular. To get a good OCR results, you need fix this with FineReader Image Editor first.
Conclusion of ABBYY FineReader 14 Review
I write this ABBYY FineReader 14 review after approximately 2 weeks of use and try out all the features of ABBYY FineReader. This is to ensure that all the existing features work well.
ABBYY FineReader is very comprehensive document processing software, to the point that I say this software as the swiss knife army of document tool.
Here Pros and Cons the software.
- Easy to Use. The display and menu (icon dan text) seems so clear so that it will ease the users to use it even if it is their first time.
- Fast and Accurate. For 1 page of simple document (which have text, image and table) it only needs 12.55 s.
- Lighwight OCR software. The RAM usage in FineReader 14 if you check it in your task manager Windows, it only occupies for 147,104 K.
- It has not supported the background color and Border table if it is saved in Word/Excel format.
- Searchable PDF only work if document saved from OCR Editor and it’s not work if directly convert document to Searchable PDF
ABBYY FineReader sold from starting price $169 for Standar Version, $249 for Corporate and $449 for Enterprise. Some time, they offer ABBYY FineReader Coupon for limited time.
If you are interested, just click here to go to their site.
so, after reading ABBYY FineReader 14 Review, did you decide that this is what you are looking for?
If you have any question, feel free to ask it in the comments.